We are a full TWO weeks into school, and with Labor Day weekend upon us, it's pretty safe to say our summer has come to an end. I was really sad to see summer go!! With a baby due mid-summer, I made it a point to keep our days as low key as possible... and it was so nice! For several weeks we had very little, if anything, penciled in on our calendar. We took each day as it came. The kids played at home many days, and we frequented the library the most this summer. My only regret is not making it to the city pool like I had hoped. I've learned this is often how I function best with young kids; I love looking at the calendar and seeing a free day where mornings can gradually begin, spontaneous plans are free to arise, and the day's demands equal the energy present for them.
By the end of the summer both girls were excited to start school. Gianna told me she needed a change from this neighborhood... they had played everything they could around here. (She must not function quite like I do;). Andy on the other hand was counting every second to the official end of his school days. He completed his last two classes this summer and became an official graduate of Viterbo University in Servant Leadership on August 18th!! This gave us one weekend in between the end of Andy's schooling and the beginning of the girls' year. Their official start was August 21st!
So before I post our annual first day of school pictures, here are some summer moments to remember:
Visiting with Uncle Ben, Aunt Molly, and Kai on one of his first trips to La Crosse:)
-----------------------------------------
Ella with her two bottom teeth missing.
Gianna lost two molars this summer too!
-----------------------------------------
How we represent the neighborhood:
Lemonade Stands...
and a one man marching band;)
------------------------------------------
Brothers bonding...<3 p="">3>
Where did this little girl go to?!
But still in need of some space from each other;)
-----------------------------------------------
Fast running Underwear Man!...
And an army guy in his pull-up... a common sight as we continue our potty training adventure;)
---------------------------------------
Enjoying the friendship of our neighbors....
and finally getting our first, post-hospital, picture of our family of 6!:)
-------------------------------------------
As much as I like spontaneous plans, I know there is a limit to what you can do with 4 little kids in tow;)
A couple of weeks ago, Andy and I both thought, let's step out of our norm and do something we don't often consider doing... that thought involved heading to Arcadia late one night to attend a 10pm NEEDTOBREATHE concert with the kids. After driving around the city, trying to find a good place to park, with a crowd of people that, at the very least, doubled the city's population, we made it to the brisk outdoor concert with an overtired and fairly distraught little baby and three other kids who were up past their bedtimes. I envisioned the older kids enjoying this little break from their routine, but in the end, three of the four were sound alseep before, or shortly after the concert even began, and the fourth (I'll give you one guess who held out the longest;) just kept saying she wanted to go home. Andy and I both agreed that we now know why we have a norm and this type of activity is best done with just the two of us;)... Still a memory making moment, none the less.
-------------------------------------
Besides participating in week long Totus Tuus and VBS programs this summer, the only other scheduled activity both girls participated in this summer was a weekly gymnastics class. After not testing out of her Novice class last session, Gianna was really, really hoping to test out this time and move up to the Intermediate class for next time. She was over the moon to learn she did indeed achieve this goal as summer came to a close. Way to go Gianna!
Where did this little girl go to?!
---------------------------------
2017-2018 School Year... Here We Come!









So cute!
ReplyDelete