Sunday, September 25, 2016

Moments to Remember


This blog post is long overdue. 
(I've been meaning to post some of these videos since last spring!;)

Just a few moments I want to remember...

First, I'll start with Ella.

Here are some videos I took of her singing and dancing last spring.



(These videos were taken on the same day, but notice two completely different outfits;)

----------------------------

While taking a little walk downtown one summer evening, I decided we should make a turn to start heading back to our van.  The little walk had been prompted by Ella, and she was not to keen on my decision.  In response to this she stated:

"This walk was my idea! I don't know why you always have to rule!"
(I'm your mother, dear child, I'm your mother. That's what I do best;)

---------------------------------

 While she and I were shopping at the store one day, she told me I could stay right where we were and she would go and find what she needed and just come and find me later.  I told her I couldn't let my 5 year old wander the store by herself... she was a little disappointed;)

--------------------------------

She definitely has her independent side but still very much loves and needs her mom...

At the beginning of the school year, when I was trying to drop her off and leave without a lot of tears, I tried to tell her she could sit at her desk and color a picture for me.  It didn't quite help stop the tears at the time, but she is now in the routine of coloring me pictures at school whether she's happy or sad.  I've started a collection in a binder and have over 30 pictures from her.  Some day, when she's off to travel the world, I'll pull out this binder and remind her of the time she didn't want to leave me;)

She has had her ups and downs, adjusting to kindergarten, but, overall, seems to be getting more and more comfortable with it all.  The bus made things a lot better for about a week and then her teacher had to have surgery and that seemed put her in a downward spiral again.  Now that she has gotten to know her substitute teacher more, she seems to be on an upswing again.  Time will tell;)

Parting from mom and dad in the morning has been her biggest challenge, but her teachers assure us the tears do not last long after that, and she does quite well during the day.  Lunch and recess have also brought out tears, but she seems to be, slowly but surely, getting more comfortable with those parts of school as well.  The kids in her class have been really kind to her, and her teachers have been very kind and helpful as well. She has never once complained about school in and of itself, but always just says she misses mom, and she misses being home.

One morning after we were walking back from the bus stop because she didn't want to get on that morning, I was trying to give her a little pep talk and told her it was ok to miss us, but if she enjoyed her day, it would go by really fast, and she would be back home soon.  She responded by saying, "I don't know why I'm getting tears in my eyes. You're right here and dad is at home."
Although the morning struggle has felt like a little bit of game some days, her feeling of homesickness is real, and we continue to pray for our sweet little Ella Bella and do what we can to help her. St. Therese was a very sensitive soul when she was a little girl, so we especially ask for her intercession:)

---------------------------

Talking about Ella's adjustment to kindergarten leads me to her big sister Gianna.

Gianna has given Ella a little "tough love" at times, but has also taken on a very caring big sister role too.  The first week Ella rode the bus was very exciting for her; she couldn't wait to ride with Gianna.  Thursday of that week, Gianna had choir after school and wouldn't be riding the bus.  She completely forgot about that until she was at school.  When we picked her up, she said she worried about Ella all day and wondered how she would do on the bus ride home without her.  She said she was afraid she wouldn't know when to get off!;)  She was very relieved to hear Ella did just fine.  

One night, I asked her if Ella did alright when she had to get off the bus to go into school in the morning.  She said she did.  She then proceeded to say, "I give her a kiss on the forehead and tell her to have a good day." (Insert mother's heart melting right here;)

After school one day, Andy told Gianna that Ella had a bit of a tough day.  Gianna responded by saying, "she was in my prayers today." (Insert dad's heart melting right here;)

-----------------------------
Gianna's play invitations


 
 
-----------------------------------

And now onto the little brother, Nathan:)

We had to run an errand to the bank one morning and when we got there, he asked, "Mommy, this piggy bank?"  Later, we passed by another bank in the van and he pointed and said, "Nother piggy bank!"

---------------------------------

Kolbe passed on a pair of Crock shoes to Nathan. Nathan calls them his "Crocodiles;)"

---------------------------------

We were listening to the song, "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong.  I told the kids this was my all time favorite song.  As he was listening to the song, Nathan said, "Mom, monsters in it."... apparently Louis' raspy voice sounded like a monster's voice to him... once he said that, I could see how his 2 year old brain thought that was the case;)

----------------------------------


 
-----------------------







This boy really loves trucks right now;)

------------------------

 

------------------------

Gianna learned this song this summer at Totus Tuus.  It has been a part of our days ever since;)

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment