Sunday, December 30, 2012

Advent and Christmas 2012


Merry Christmas!

Celebrating some of the feast days during Advent


Mary and Joseph traveling to Bethlehem

Gianna was very excited to finally put Jesus in her manger on Christmas Day. She and Ella worked on making a soft bed for Jesus throughout Advent by being kind and good and, in return, receiving hay to lay in their manger.

Decorating our tree on Gaudete Sunday
Since we are living in an apartment this year, we decided, for the first time ever, we would get an artificial tree instead of cutting down a real one.  We made a trip to Goodwill and found one for only $20 (thanks for the tip, Amy)!  I joked with Andy that I should have taken a picture of the girls standing by the tree we found at the store. And then, instead of the annual picture of him sawing the tree down, I should have taken  a picture of him carrying the tree out of the store and having the bottom half fall off in the parking lot;)

Once we got the lights on, Gianna went to town and decorated most of the tree all by herself.  She did a fabulous job;)  She and Ella also enjoyed rearranging the ornaments for the next few days.

Making Ice Cream Cone Ornaments!
I had made an ice cream cone ornament like this when I was in elementary school.  It has a few holes in the cone, but has held up pretty well for the past 20+ years and still hangs on our tree. Gianna told me it was one of her favorites.  I figured, if I was capable of making one in elementary school, I could certainly make another one now.  Gianna is now at the age where she is capable of "mass production," so we set to work making some!  They turned out great, and she was excited to give some away as gifts:)


Finishing up Advent and Beginning the Christmas Celebration!
 Jesse Tree
Advent Countdown Calendar
Our Advent Wreath
Gianna's Beautiful Nativity

Christmas Eve
Daddy with his Beautiful Daughters!
Notice the second picture of Andy and Ella-- like father like daughter! 

"Rings on her fingers and bells on her toes, she will have music where ever she goes;)"

Then and Now!
The first picture is of Andy and I dressed up to go to my bank Christmas party the first year we started dating.  The second picture is of us this year-- same outfits, but 7 years older;)

Ella's Christmas Morning
 I think Ella was the most excited about the Trix cereal she got in her stocking;)

Once she got started, she was also really into tearing the paper off presents.  She barely took the time to look at what she unwrapped, she just wanted another one to tear paper off of.  Nobody's presents were safe around her!

Gianna's Christmas Morning

Prior to Christmas, Gianna decided she was going to wrap some presents of her own.  She was busy in our room, one day, wrapping away.  At one point, she came out into the kitchen and told me she needed more bags.  I asked if she needed gift bags or plastic grocery bags.  She said she needed plastic bags.  I had no clue what she had wrapped up until Christmas morning, when she handed out her plastic bags.  We all got a pipe cleaner and a Christmas craft she had either found pre-made or crafted herself.

 "I didn't get what I asked for, but I appreciate what I got!"  This is what she told me even before she opened her present from St. Nick.  She really did do a great job of appreciating everything she got this year:)

Christmas Day at Grandpa and Grandma Teska's
Our Cupcake Hats!
Gianna received a cupcake hat a few years ago (note picture), and this year Ella got one too!  After Ella opened hers, I was presented with one of my very own;)  Somehow, I don't think people will think it looks as "cute" on me as it does on the girls;)

Trying on some Christmas gifts
Enjoying her Gifts
 Andy had to work the two days after Christmas Day so the girls and I enjoyed those two days hibernating at home and playing with all our new presents.

Gianna got three new dolls for Christmas and lovingly calls them, "my girls."  She even makes sure to include Ella's new Snow White doll in her parties even though Ella hasn't quite warmed up to playing with her yet;)  (She does like her new baby doll though:)

Gianna got a karaoke microphone for Christmas.  Ella has enjoyed playing with it as well, and especially loves to "sing" in the Elf voice the microphone comes with.


Christmas Celebration at Grandpa and Grandma Thompson's
Homemade Gifts!
For Christmas this year, Mike and Maria, Matt and Beth, and Andy and I decided to exchange homemade gifts among one another.  We drew names and set the price limit cheap-- $10-$15.

Maria made Beth two T-Shirt scarves (similar to the one pictured); Mike drew Matt a Ryan Braun picture; Matt made Andy a wooden bike-themed clock; Beth made me a Date Night Jar (complete with a contract;); Andy made Mike an Army bowl by fusing Army Guys together; and I made Maria a beaded necklace. (I gave it to her in a caboodle-- we both had one from our childhood and used it for our cake decorating supplies.  Her's, however, smashed to pieces after being left on the roof of the car one time.  I found one at the Salvation Army months ago and knew I had to get it for her. They are pretty hard to come by these days).

It was a lot of fun to see what everyone came up with. We definitely plan on doing it again next year:)

No comments:

Post a Comment