Thursday, January 5, 2012

Some Projects and the Beginning of a New Year

These past few months, I decided to try my hand at a few homemade presents...

Long story short, give me some time alone in JoAnn Fabrics and my crafty side kicks into full gear; I can go in there for a spool of thread and walk out with a whole new project in tow;)

Craft projects are a wonderful de-stressor for me.  Not to mention the fact that they also help me learn to embrace the little imperfections and subtle differences that come with homemade projects.  (It's a good counter to my matchy/matchy perfectionism;)

I brought out my sewing machine some time in October, and it was up and down for the next few months.

Some of my first projects to reach completion were pillows for Weston and Vance:



I found these Toy Story travel and character pillows in easy little sew kits.  Basically cut and sew.  I did add my own little touch by putting one piece of what was suppose to be a little round decorative pillow onto the travel pillows.  I zig-zag stitched the round character pictures onto the plain side of the pillows.  They were a nice addition to the Toy Story sleeping bag we got Weston for Christmas:)

My second project to reach completion was Ella's stocking.  I had sewn stockings for the rest of us a few years back and was excited to make an addition this year:)



For my next project, I took a break from the sewing machine and took on a scrap-booking project.  My mother-in-law gave me the idea to make some little calendars for Christmas, and I knew the perfect recipients would be my grandmas:)  They were really fun to make, and if I had had more time, I would have made more!



A few days before Christmas, I moved on to my next project, play tablecloths and napkins for Gianna and Ella's soon to be, new play table.  I had so much fun making this project!  I made three different tablecloths, one for a tea party, one for a birthday party, and one I could put on the table for craft projects (one I don't care if it gets colored or painted on).  I even thought it would be a fun little business venture some day-- A little "Tea for Two;)"

I had the table set up the night before we opened our Christmas presents at home.  I then proceeded to video tape Gianna (and Ella's:) reaction to the new table... we were hoping for a little bit more of an enthusiastic reaction from Gianna, but I guess it's hard to predict a 3 1/2 year old!:

She did give us a little sign of approval with her slight, "Hmpf," after she walked in and saw it and then seemed to take more of a liking to it once Ella seemed to be enjoying it.

It didn't take too long for her to show more excitement, and soon she was taking charge:)



 
Gianna has played at the table everyday since, and Ella gets SO excited when she gets to sit on one of the chairs-- she thinks she is such a big girl!




My final project was actually one of the first ones I started, but it took me the longest to complete.  I mentioned before how doing craft projects is a nice de-stressor for me, but there is one exception: attempting to make the same doll twice. I made two dolls, one for Ella and one for Gianna.

I had picked up two cut and sew dolls a while back but ditched them when I found the pattern was not very well made, and I thought, if I'm going to make some dolls, I could find some cuter ones to make!  I went on Etsy and bought a very cute doll pattern.  I was a little apprehensive to do them at first because I thought maybe I had been a little too ambitious when I picked out the pattern, but they were way too cute not to try.  I made Ella's first, and it wasn't as hard as I expected; I only dealt with a few struggles here and there.  While working on Gianna's, however, I was beginning to think I was a one hit wonder!  I messed up on her doll left and right!  At one point when the doll was pretty much complete, I realized I had sewn the front and back together wrong and contemplated starting all over. In the end, however, while putting the phrase, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again," to the test, I managed to compete another doll.  I am very pleased with the final outcome of both, but I don't think I'll be tackling this project again for quite some time.


I actually haven't given the girls their dolls yet- not quite sure when I will ??

I am not the only one to take on projects for our girls-- Andy has done a few of his own too.  I never mentioned the oven/sink play set he made a while back out of an old microwave cart we had:


And to go along with their new table, he made menus for the new restaurant that opened up in the playroom, "Gianna and Ella's Place." He took pictures of some of the play food they have and put them together on a menu.  Have I ever mentioned what a wonderful dad he is?!

Finally, I have a feeling I won't be short on projects in this new year.  I got a Cricut for Christmas and have only begun to tinker with some of its possibilities...

This cute little paper princess took me about an hour to make- now that I got the general idea of how it works, however, I hope it won't take me as long to make other fun little creations:)

Happy New Year Everyone!  Go Packers!

4 comments:

  1. awesome blog, can't wait to come to Gianna and Ella's place for lunch. See you soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea (and Andy) I am beyond impressed with your creativity and craftiness. I think we need to spend some time together working on projects. I have had my sewing machine out just waiting to be put to good use, but it has yet to be tried :( Your projects are good motivation for me. Awesome job! Your girls are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Andrea! You are amazing! And all of these projects are great! I'm amazed at how much you accomplished with two busy little ones:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely got the creative genes! WOW, very impressed!! Glad you have found something you enjoy and makes you happy:) I like the girls' Packer outfits!

    ReplyDelete