Sunday, October 11, 2009

What a Week!

It's been quite the week of firsts!
Our first "embarrassing" moment in public:
Last Sunday we were in La Crosse and went to church at our home parish. We sat in the second row. It is not the place we usually sit in church, but Aunt Maria, Uncle Mike, and Weston were sitting there since Uncle Mike had to commentate that day, so we decided to join them. During the Gospel, Gianna started to get a little fussy, and I handed her over to Andy. I got some Cheerios out of her bag, opened the container stocked full of the little O's, and proceeded to hand them to Andy. As he took the container, Gianna decided to show her frustration and hit it out of his hands. This action sent the Cheerios flying (literally) through the air, and they made a "lovely" sound as they landed all over the hardwood church floor. Andy thoroughly enjoyed crouching on the ground during the homily to pick up all the Cheerios in the front of the church. Maria and Mike said they were just glad it wasn't them;)
My first complete panic moment involving Gianna:
I wasn't sure I was going to share this story with our blog readers, but I'm hoping that by sharing it, I will save someone else from this same experience! Hopefully this great stupidity of mine will make others think twice in the same situation...
On Friday, Gianna and I went over to our old neighbor's house to pick up a table. When we left, my next stop was going to be the grocery store. As I was driving there, however, I decided I'd better stop at home really quick and pick up a little snack and some water for her otherwise, the grocery trip could get a little challenging. It was going to take me less than a minute to grab her snack and water so I decided I would pull the car up really close to the house and just leave Gianna in the car while I ran inside (I know, I know, they tell you never to do that). I grabbed my house keys and locked the car doors as I quickly ran inside. When I got back outside, however, shear panic hit me as I realized I had just locked my car keys in the car with Gianna and my phone still in it!!! I couldn't believe what I had just done! Unfortunately, Andy was at work. I decided I would try and send him a message via email and Facebook on his Blackberry. All my attempts to send "EMERGENCY, HELP" messages were to no avail, however; he didn't respond. Looking at Gianna, I could tell she was getting a little unsettled in the car, and when I walked by the car, she looked at me and started to cry. I'm sure she was wondering why I wasn't getting her out! After my messages to Andy failed and my attempt to find another key failed as well, I decided my only other option was to try to go to a neighbor's house to use a phone. All of our neighbors' houses face other streets so I was hesitant to go to one of them right away because that would mean I wouldn't be able to see Gianna in the car. At one of the houses across the street, however, there were two guys working on the roof. I decided they would be my best option. I ran over there to ask if they had a phone I could use; I broke down crying when I had to explain what I had just done. Luckily, they had a phone right there, and I was able to try and call Andy. The first time I called, he didn't answer. GREAT! I figured my only option now, was to try and call a locksmith. Before I did this, however, I called Andy one more time and PRAISE THE LORD, HE ANSWERED! I was crying while I was telling him what I had just done, and he told me not to worry, he would be right there. (It's really great when your husband's a paramedic because then you get the fun of having an ambulance arrive at your house to get your daughter out of your car!) In the end he came and he got Gianna out of the car-- she was crying, but with her passy, some water and raisins, and a few minutes to settle down, she was just fine-- no worse for the wear! It was a complete act of stupidity on my part, and I do not plan on EVER doing that again! Andy did say to me, however, if I ever did do that again, I should just take the keys out of the car next time;) (It was one of those, why did I just say that moments;)
On a side note, it turns out Andy's Blackberry service was down that day, and he didn't receive any of my messages until about 10pm that night. Also, they had a really busy day so I was lucky to catch him at the station when I did!
...Someday I'll tell Gianna about the day I accidentally locked her in the car!
Gianna's first fall with blood:
Last night we had some friends over for dinner. After dinner, Gianna was standing at her toy box playing with some toys. We don't know exactly how she fell, but all of the sudden we hear a loud "thump" and saw Gianna lying on the floor. She fell straight back and hit her head. I immediately went and picked her up. She was doing one of those big, hold your breath cries so you knew it hurt. As I was holding her, Mike pointed out that she was bleeding from her mouth. I said, "uh, Andy!," with a bit of panic in my voice, and handed her off to him. To make a long story short, we realized later, when she fell, she had a little cowbell in her hand and must of hit her mouth on it when she fell. At first we thought she may have chipped her tooth, but now we are pretty sure she just cut her gum. (It's really hard to get a 15 month old to hold her mouth open so you can get a good look inside!) Andy did call the nurses he knew at the ER when we weren't quite sure what was causing her mouth to bleed and because a bump was developing on the back of her head, but in the end, after a bath and a change into her PJ's, she was all ready to continue with her night as if nothing had happened and play with her favorite cousin Weston:) I swear at the end of the night, these kinds of incidents are worse on the parents than they are on the child!

Gianna and Weston playing at the beginning of the day.

(Good thing we have our own personal paramedic<3)

And Finally, I've saved the best for last, a wonderful first-- Gianna's OFFICIALLY WALKING!
Last Sunday, Gianna finally got up enough courage to walk on her own! She's officially a 15 month old walker! So far, it's been a great milestone accomplishment and one of my favorites so far:) She's getting better and better each day!

WHEW, that's a lot to take in with one blog post!

3 comments:

  1. She is such a cute little walker!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- what a week, is right. You poor mama. I would say poor Gianna, but, you're right... it is worse on us than it is them. The story about you locking her in the car made me cry (I know, I'm a little hormonal right now anyway). How scary it must have been for you, though. I'm glad everything is all okay and Gianna is healthy, happy, and walking everywhere! WAY TO GO, GIANNA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed in the not-so-good firsts that what a wonderful husband you have to come to the rescue for both incidents! :) I have to admit though...reading both of them caused me to get a little anxious as I wasn't towards the end yet!! Can't imagine how you must have felt:(
    On a good note, I GOT TO FINALLY SEE HER WALK! she is such a great little walker...I can't wait to see it in person. What a cutie:)

    ReplyDelete