Monday, May 23, 2011

Update! (A Few Things I've Been Meaning to Post- In No Particular Order:)

Adjusting to Life with Two Kids

Life with two kids has definitely been an adjustment and up until now, I was pretty overwhelmed with the thought of spending 24 hours by myself caring for both of them.  Whether it was due to baby blues, less sleep, the stretch of cold and dreary weather we seemed to have for a few weeks, or something else, it gave me a lot of anxiety to think of not being able to meet both of their needs at any given time, and I worried I wouldn't have enough energy to make it through the day without any relief in sight.  Well, this past Tuesday, I officially spent my first full 24 hours by myself and, overall, the day went pretty well-- I even got out the door on time for my doctor's appointment! 

I decided my focus would simply be, enjoying time with my girls.  Ella actually had a pretty sleepy day that day and slept most of the afternoon.  Gianna and I got to get out in the garden and plant some flowers (something I thoroughly look forward to each year!) and with the sun shining, we all took a walk downtown to visit Andy at the fire station.  When all was said and done, the meals were a little less than desirable and the house was a mess, but how could I not feel a sense of satisfaction when, at the end of the day, both of my girls were cuddled on the couch with me and fell sound asleep<3

Up until now, I was lucky to have Andy home for almost a month (a little vacation time goes a long way with a fire fighter's schedule).  And while I think he was excited (and perhaps a little relieved) to go back to work when the time came, he was also glad he got to be home while we both adjusted to life with two kids;)  I was also blessed to have help from family and friends, especially my sister and brother-in-law.  With a fresh memory of their own experience adjusting to life with two boys, they stepped in and did a lot for us!

Overall, Gianna has enjoyed the presence of her little sister and seems to enjoy helping and holding her.  We could tell, however, in the first few weeks this was also an adjustment for her.  The week of Easter was a challenging week for us all.  While Gianna liked interacting with her new sister, she also started showing us a side of her we had not seen before-- full swing tantrums (with hitting) and almost complete defiance of Andy and me.  On Holy Thursday, Andy had to sit with her in the church hallway for most of the mass and on Good Friday, we had to leave church  because she was being too disruptive even for the cry room!  After putting her to bed for a much needed nap, I stood at the top of the stairs crying, wondering where my sweet little girl went!  Thankfully, she seems to be back to herself these days.  While she still has her moments, as any almost 3 year old does, her sweet side is shining through once more:)  And today, she even reached her goal on her Good Behavior/ Good Listening Chart!

Here is a recent video I took of Gianna putting random things around her and in her thoughts to song;)



I can hardly believe Ella is already a month old (and then some)!  The day she was born seems like such a distant memory now.  Overall, I would have to say she is a pretty good baby, and we are enjoying her more and more each day!  I can not wait to see more and more of her personality as she continues to grow:)
Ella at One Month

- Affectionately called Ella, Baby Ella, Ella Bella, Miss El, El Bell, and from time to time Gianna calls her Ellsee
- Still has her dark head of hair, but it seems to be getting lighter
- Has beautiful blue eyes which she can open pretty wide at times
- For the most part, has grown out of newborn clothes and is wearing a size 0-3months
- Started giving us many beautiful smiles at 5 weeks. I can almost always get a smile when I say, "Hi Beautiful!"
- Seems to have a good sense of day and night but also seems to have a typically "fussy" time from about 6-9pm.  Once she settles in, however, she usually sleeps for a nice stretch to start out the night (about 4 hours).  Last Thursday she did her longest stretch yet, about 6 hours!
-Sleeps in her car seat to start out the night then usually with or by mom or dad on our bed for the rest of the night.
- Introduced to a pacifier-- will take it sometimes but can also give you a face like you've completely offended her by putting such a thing in her mouth.
- Seems to eat well when she's hungry but can get upset when I try and feed her and she's not very hungry (likes to suck, but doesn't like the food that comes along with it)
- Loves to be bounced and patted when she's upset; none of which can be too light or gentle at times
- Is almost constantly moving her arms and legs when awake.
-Likes stroller rides and car rides for the most part (interstate driving will usually put her right to sleep)


New Van

We have a new van!  Well, actually, it's not as new as it once was, we've had it for about a month; it just never made the blog until now.  We traded in Andy's deer dented Malibu (perhaps the last bit of his single days now gone;) and bought a Kia Sedona.  Andy was more excited to get it than I was, but I must admit it has already been really nice to have.  With as many trips as we make back and forth to La Crosse and with as much stuff as we bring sometimes, it is well worth the extra space.


An Award

This past Thursday Andy and I headed to the annual EMS Recognition Banquet (with Ella in tow) because Andy was nominated, and selected, to receive an award!  He was nominated by his chief and medical director and received an award for "outstanding dedication to the EMS profession."  While presenting the award, the chief highlighted some of his reasons for nominating Andy.  Among other things, he noted the key role Andy had in helping the department transition into a Paramedic level service, his positive and upbeat personality, and his true love and passion for the job.  We are all very proud of him!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Julia LOVED watching Gianna's song and Ella has changed so much already! She's so pretty! Looking forward to seeing you guys soon!(You ARE coming to see us when we are there, right?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great singing job Gianna, Love it, We need to see you guys. Ella is getting so big,couldn't believe the pictures.

    ReplyDelete